Holiday Treats: Candy Cane Cookies
Last week we shared a yummy recipe for a mixing up a fun holiday cocktail, a Candy Cane Martini. But we realized you’ll also need something to munch on while you sip this Christmas treat. How about some Candy Cane Cookies?
This recipe, courtesy of the Betty Crocker, makes 54 candy cane cookies.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food color
- 2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candies
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a large bowl, stir together the cup of sugar, butter, milk, vanilla, peppermint extract. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt
- Divide dough in half and in stir red food color into one half. Cover and refrigerate at least four hours
- Heat oven to 375ºF and stir together peppermint candy and 2 tablespoons of sugar
- To create the candy cane, shape one rounded teaspoon dough from each half into 4-inch rope by rolling back and forth on floured surface. Place one red and white rope side by side; press together lightly and twist. Then, place cookies on ungreased cookie sheet; curve top of cookie down to form handle of cane
- Bake cookies for 9 to 12 minutes or until set and very light brown. Immediately sprinkle candy mixture over cookies then remove from cookie sheet to wire rack and let cookies cool completely
- Serve with a smile — and add a Candy Cane Martini for the adults!